If you have ever sold a home before then most likely this material won’t be entirely foreign. Selling commercial property has many similarities. Assume that the potential buyer does not want to incur the time or expense to address your deferred maintenance. With that in mind, here are a few pointers:
- Entrance. Make sure it is inviting. Landscaping is key on the exterior for a professional appearance. This will not only help attract your buyer, but your buyer will realize that it will attract their customers.
- Parking Lot. Do all necessary repairs to fill potholes, repave and re-stripe if necessary. Again, the parking lot appearance is part of your buyer’s first impression. Make it a lasting one!
- Debris. This should go without being said but, you would be surprised how many times owners look past trash, overfilled dumpsters, discarded cigarette butts, broken planters, etc. on their property.
- Building Exterior. Regardless of what the exterior material is comprised of whether that be brick, stone, metal, vinyl it needs to be clean. A gentle power washing may be in order to remove dirt, mildew growth, or rust stains. Any painted areas may need a fresh coat as well to give a nice accent. Don’t forget the windows both inside and out.
- Roofing. Most times it is worth the sellers time to have a roof inspection performed prior to listing so that any issues can be addressed before they become just that–”issues”. Roofing problems can derail a sale quickly so it is best to be proactive.
- Door. Make sure it is clean and operates smoothly.
- Carpet and Paint. This either looks clean and fresh or you need to make it look as such. Worn and dingy just doesn’t garner top dollar so get busy painting and cleaning/replacing carpets.
- Mechanicals. Have service records readily available. Wipe down the exterior surfaces and change all filters. If something leaks, repair it and if something doesn’t work, replace it.
It may all seem obvious, but these are frequent items that my clients’ and I witness when looking for commercial space. As a commercial seller it is worth the investment to ensure the best price in the least amount of time. Goal accomplished!
Now read about why you should consider a commercial broker when selling your property!