Greencastle is the vibrant county seat of Putnam County, with a population of 10,314. Thirty-five minutes from Indianapolis International Airport and within an hour from Indianapolis, Lafayette, Bloomington, and Terre Haute, it is easy to commute throughout the area and, with plenty of job opportunities in education, manufacturing, logistics, natural resources development, agriculture, and health care opportunities nearby. Greencastle also has several museums and a community theater for local entertainment.
In 2011, Greencastle was the recipient of the Stellar Communities Grant award which represented an infusion of $19 Million to fund many projects that are enjoyed by everyone today. A few of those projects included:
- A revitalization of the courthouse square and central business district with streetscape improvements, façade renovations, and signage;
- Relocation of the DePauw University bookstore to the central business district;
- Additional public parking solutions in the downtown area;
- New housing options which included lofts in the commercial district and new construction in the South Court neighborhood;
- Construction of a community health center and other wellness initiatives such as a walking and fitness trail;
- Partnership with Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra to provide concerts in Greencastle, a youth orchestra program, and master music classes; and
- Creation of a technology hub and Wi-Fi bubble in the commercial district.
Three of Greencastle’s neighborhoods are National Register Historic Districts, including the city’s historic town square, where the annual Greencastle Music Fest is held every year, or enjoy during the First Friday of each month (April-October) a large community gathering where a portion of the square is blocked off for live music, shopping, art, and food. Then there is also the infamous Monon Bell Game, the culmination of the intense football rivalry between Wabash College and DePauw University.
Greencastle has an excellent K-12 school system. It hosts Ivy Tech Community College, ranked top in the nation for associate degrees, and DePauw University, which was ranked 56th in the nation in liberal arts colleges.
Satellite communities include: Bainbridge, Cloverdale, Fillmore, Roachdale, Russellville